Thursday, September 10, 2015

Summer Analyst at Atlantic-Pacific Capital

Summer analyst at Atlantic-Pacific Capital

During the summer of 2014 I interned as a summer analyst at Atlantic-Pacific Capital. Due to the nature of the work as well as the small team in Hong Kong, this was one of my more interesting internships as it provided me with an opportunity to get hands-on experience on live projects and client meetings as opposed to the simple office/paper-work and data analysis that other internships assign.

Atlantic-Pacific Capital is the largest independently owned Global Placement Agent and Advisory firm that works closely with Investment Banks and Private Equity Funds. As an established brand within global private equity communities, Atlantic-Pacific Capital is dedicated to raising capital for alternative investments. Atlantic-Pacific Capital works closely with General Partners and Limited Partners to perform the following:

For General Partners

  • ·      Advise on general market conditions, including the minimum and maximum amounts of investor subscriptions to be raised
  • ·      Consult on strategy and tactics with prospective investors
  • ·      Identify and arrange meetings with qualified institutional investors
  • ·      Assist with preparation of offering memoranda, other marketing materials and limited partnership agreements
  • ·      Coordinate logistics associated with investor roadshows
  • ·      Process all due diligence
  • ·      Drive investors’ processes to final closing


For Limited Partners

  • ·      Introduce high quality and unique opportunities to institutional investors
  • ·      Use internal stringent fund selection process
  • ·      Build relationship with manager to understand the reasons a limited partner should consider fund offerings
  • ·      Add value to Limited Partners by running an organized fundraising process
  • ·      Help investors in evaluating opportunities
  • ·      Discuss overall portfolio composition and specific investment strategies within the framework of the broader private equity market


During my stint at Atlantic-Pacific Capital, I was primarily tasked with the following:
·      Conduct research and preparation for analysis of private equity market transactions
·      Attend client meetings and assist in facilitating respective overview reports for stapled secondary transactions

In chronological order of a project, the first step was to meet the potential client. Prior to this experience I had only attended meetings in which a company was pitching their services or products. As a result, I simply took notes and learnt on the go but enjoyed it and learnt so much nonetheless.

In the next step of a project, we conducted many lengthy deliberations. In short, I compiled a risk analysis to determine whether or not Atlantic-Pacific Capital would take up this client or not. I tabulated data trends and created a forecast for the client to see if they were compatible with market standards. If the results proved promising, then Atlantic-Pacific Capital would take the client onboard. If the results underperformed, then the client would be rejected.

I then assisted in processing due diligence reports, power point presentations, finding the right investments and chiseling out deals for all parties involved. From that point on, there’s constant pitch making, negotiating and fundraising to reach the agreed upon goal until the projects’ closure.

The coalition of constant interaction and data analysis from this internship has provided me with a much stronger foundation from which to continue to grow professionally 

Readability Statistics
Passive Sentences: 7%
Flesch Reading Ease: 39.8

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 12.0

7 comments:

  1. Hey Tyler, I have also had an internship similar to yours where I listen to pitches to our company and we decide whether or not to invest in them. During the same internship, I also researched on how to conduct due dillegence and presented house-views on certain investments. I wonder how the Hong Kong market differs from the US market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always wanted to go to Hong Kong. Your work sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like your internship was a really great learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have been very interesting getting to work in a work environment completely different from the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like you received a great deal of experience from your internship. As someone who doesn't understand anything about numbers, your memo is easy and clear to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wanted to know what an internship out of US would look like, doesn't seem that different. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete